The Extension!

Where Writers And Authors Meet

Click here to edit subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion- Public > Weekly chat- who would be interested?

Virginia Jennings
Site Owner

A few years back I ran a monthly chat called Author Tea. I was wondering if any of you would be interested in participating. We could do one a week or one a month depending on the interest.

You would be set up as the featured author for the event, it would be broadcast on our facebook group page as well as my profile page- and you are welcome to share it on yours as well ;). In the chat, because you would be the 'guest of honor', the group and anyone else who joins in will be able to ask you questions about your book, and get to know the real you!

Please leave a comment and let me know if you would be interested!

--

September 4, 2012 at 7:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Virginia Jennings
Site Owner

If you could also post what time you would be most likely to join in to watch a chat this would be appreciated too! EVEN if you are not interested in being a featured author- just let me know what time would be good for you so I can figure out when I might plan them ;)

September 4, 2012 at 8:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jaimie Hope

Sounds interesting. I would love to take part. Any time between 7 p.m. until 10 p.n. EST would work for me.

September 5, 2012 at 4:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sophia DeLuna

Even though I am quite busy at the moment, I would generally be interested. I'm in Germany and thus in quite a different time zone to most, I suppose. But I can be rather flexible if necessary.

September 5, 2012 at 4:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jim Henry

I would definitely participate! I am pretty flexible, but probably daytime hours when the kids are in school would be best. When I read about this, I thought, "Who wouldn't want to participate?" Great idea, as usual Virginia!

Jim

--
September 5, 2012 at 5:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Virginia Jennings
Site Owner

The chat set up here through the webtool bar below does not have a transcript option but it does keep a running memory of the chat (apparently for days...)   BUT I am thinking about seeing if I can copy the transcript and make a new blog post or forum thread to post it in so that people can continue discussing or asking the author questions if they prefer... just an idea... I'm trying to nail down a good time to host it for right now though ;)

September 9, 2012 at 2:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sophia DeLuna

Um ... I'm not sure if I understand what you wrote, and I'm still not familiar with the layout of this forum which is quite different from forums I'm used to, but "post it in so that people can continue discussing or asking the author questions if they prefer" sounds good. :)

--

September 9, 2012 at 3:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

julie20201

I vaguely remember that. Sounds like fun. Weekends probably best for me right now...and night, I agree with the 7-10 EST estimate of best times.

September 9, 2012 at 5:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Virginia Jennings
Site Owner

Sophia- sorry the forum layout is a bit disorientating ;) let me know if there are any suggestions you might have that would make it flow better!

Yep Julie! It seems like a long time ago doesn't it lolol. I would LOVE to do it again... trying to see where I can fit it into my schedule ;)

September 10, 2012 at 2:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sophia DeLuna

Well, the things I miss the most are the option to get notified of new posts in a certain thread, and some sort of sign (a coloured button or "new" sign) that shows in which subforum/thread there are new posts. But I suppose these options can't be built into this forum, so never mind - I will adapt :)  

I definitely like forums better than facebook!

One question though: When you're talking about "chat" here, do you mean an actual life chat thingo? Or just a thread for each author where people can "chat" with the author? I am not particularly comfortable with chatting life with persons I don't know (wouldn't be if they were chatting in German either) and if there is more than one other person in the chat I tend to get confused. Having a thread where one can take the time to think before answering and where one has a better overview of the questions and the people would be far easier for me to handle. But either way, I'm still game. :)

--

September 10, 2012 at 2:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Virginia Jennings
Site Owner

Sophia- You have a great point! To see which forums have new posts I have helped you out :) Check out the 'newest happenings page' :)

As far as being alerted to new posts-> you may want to check your member settings to see if there is something in there .... I'm not sure, this is the first time I have tried a forum on these sites :)

the chat would be a running typed chat (like talking on the pages on facebook :) everyone would ask you questions (preferably one at a time) and a moderator (me) would step in and keep order as well as help remind of any questions that got lost :).  you could take all the time you needed to answer as the chat would revolve around you ;)

September 10, 2012 at 6:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sophia DeLuna

Awesome, Virginia! That 'newest happenings page' is helping a LOT. Thank you!!!

I'll have a look at the member settings.

Thanks for explaining how the chat will work. Sounds easier than I thought it would be :)

--

September 11, 2012 at 2:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sophia DeLuna

Uh... I can't find the member settings :blush:

--

September 11, 2012 at 2:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Virginia Jennings
Site Owner

Oh it is cool! Glad the new page helps! (lol it helps me too!) At the top you will see a more tab. under that is members. in that page you should see your name and picture... your member settings should be there-> I'll check to see if that setting is under mine too ;)

September 11, 2012 at 8:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sophia DeLuna

Well, that's the members' list from where I can get to the members' profiles.  But I still don't know where there could be any kind of settings that would allow me to get notified. Hm... Perhaps such a thing simply doesn't exist here?

--

September 11, 2012 at 9:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Virginia Jennings
Site Owner

Hmm... yeah I looked... but I did find a thing to install that would allow you to subscribe to updates from the site... I will see if it works...

September 11, 2012 at 10:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Virginia Jennings
Site Owner

hmmm yeah if you are already a member than it is redundant lol ( I figured it might not do anything different) Oh well... :(

September 11, 2012 at 10:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sophia DeLuna

Well, then I suppose we will just have to come here and have a look every now and then. Now that you installed the "Newest Happenings" feature that's not such a problem really. :)

Btw.: Did you see my post about a request for a Smashwords "folder"?

--

September 11, 2012 at 12:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Virginia Jennings
Site Owner

I found your awesome suggestions Sophia! Thanks! (and sorry for missing them lol)

September 12, 2012 at 11:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sophia DeLuna

No problem. With the "Newest Happenings" feature you created, posts are less likely to get missed now. :)

--

September 12, 2012 at 12:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.