The Extension!

Where Writers And Authors Meet

Click here to edit subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Games! > Killing 'Our Precious' (a blurb writing game)

Virginia Jennings
Site Owner

I just read a blog post called "Little Darlings and why they must die for real."

Which I LOVED by the way (reminds me to go back and delete all those attached notes in OpenOffice where I have cut out sections of my books and saved them in notes for later (pet cemetary anyone :)). Do you have a "pet cemetary"?

Anyhow- I came across a comment to the blog describing one readers attempt to see if a story was even worth WRITING!!! She said that she would do this to see if the story was even worth the months it would take to write!

So here is the game.

Describe your book- current and/or in progress  in these steps:

1: 15 word synopsis (AKA the elevator description)

2: 3 Sentances (AKA the back of the book description)

3: 2 paragraphs ONLY (AKA the webpage description)

Can you do it? If so- feel free to post your attempts here :). If not- I challenge you to consider whether you have a whole storyline that needs to be sent to the pet graveyard with "do not resucitate" placed on the grave--- OR whether there are mini pets in your story that are sucking the life away. What say you?

--

September 10, 2012 at 10:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Virginia Jennings
Site Owner

The Alien Mind...

15 words:

Abducted by aliens a girl must face to her abductors or the galaxy will fall.

3 Sentances:

Young Rivinaig details her adventures and her trials since being abducted along with several other children, by a group of aliens called the Aruk. We learn that these children are later rescued from captivity by another group of aliens who adopt and raise the children. However, the Aruk are out for revenge and the children must once again fight for their freedom, or the fate of the entire galaxy will be doomed.

2 Paragraphs: Um.... I'll get to that one later :)

September 10, 2012 at 11:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sophia DeLuna

I suck at short descriptions ... usually my dear friend and editor helps me with those... :roll:

Luckily I could partly use the descriptions I already have on Smashwords. :D So, here goes:

Hidden Secrets

15 words:

A Sarvian spaceship crash-lands on Shakaran. Will theShakari help them to get back home?

3 Sentences:

When a Sarvian spaceship crash-lands on Shakaran, the peopleof both cultures have to deal with unexpected and new experiences. Will theShakari help building a new ship for the Sarvians? How will the Sarvians copewith the cultural differences they are confronted with?

2 Paragraphs:

It isn't a particularly bright day for Tashana, the Shawanaor High Priestess of Shakaran, as she is not looking forward to the dreadedcouncil meeting. Political discussions aren't exactly her forte, especially notwith Vareljo, the Regent of Shakaran, known as the Kavarin, who has a blazinghatred for the clerics. However, soon after the council meeting, her bestfriend, Kitanjo just barely avoids a collision with an alien ship as itcrash-lands on Shakaran. Tashana’s immediate worries are forgotten as the twoof them set out to investigate the crashed spaceship.

The survivors of the ship are offered temporary refuge bythe Shakari. However, the society on Shakaran, with their money-free democraticsystem, functions quite differently than that which the Sarvians are used to.While the Sarvians await their fate to be determined, the Sarvians and Shakariare forced into each other's company. This becomes a time of discovery andlearning experience for both. Their resilience and courage are tested to thelimits.

PS: I have a "deleted scenes" file for almost every story I wrote/work on. :D

--

September 10, 2012 at 1:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Virginia Jennings
Site Owner

Awesome Sophia! It sounds like an awesome read- A birdy told me I am getting a nook for christmas so I will wait till then to read it ;)

September 10, 2012 at 5:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sophia DeLuna

Well, you wouldn't necessarily have to wait that long ... on Smashwords you can get all my eBooks in several different formats, including .pdf for example ... just saying ... :D

--

September 11, 2012 at 2:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Virginia Jennings
Site Owner

Cool!

September 12, 2012 at 11:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.